Who are you letting on your ‘relation’ ship? If we were to use the ship as an analogy for our human existence and the ocean is life as we experience it. The question I would like to ask you is, who are you letting journey through life with you?
Ships are built to withstand the weather, the seasons, and the rhythms of the ocean. Sometimes calm and sometimes wild, just like life. Life has a way of being joyful, unpredictable and harsh, at times totally out of our hands and control, leaving us with no choice but to ride it out if we are going to stay afloat. Regardless of the condition of the weather above or the water beneath, our job is to keep the elements on the outside and not on the inside of the ship.
What if the close company we kept also made a difference in the kind of voyage we would have. The question I present to you dear reader as the captain of your ship, who are you letting sail these waters with you? I am not referring to those we rub shoulders with as we get on with our day to day but rather those who we let in our inner circle. The ones who we share the deepest parts of who we are with.
My encouragement to you is to know your crew because as life is better together! As everyone is different, and there isn’t a one size fits all answer, but a few questions that you can ask yourself:
1) Where am I heading in life? What are my goals? Know the vision and purpose for your life.
2) Are those in my inner circle supporting me in heading in that direction or pulling me in the opposite direction?
3) As the saying goes, “loose lips sink ships.” Are those in my inner circle trustworthy with the information I share with them?
4) Is there genuine care that exists in the relationship? It’s not about being perfect but instead leaning in and being present.
5) Am I the kind of person I want to have in my inner circle? Live by example!
I would love to hear from you, so please leave a comment or go to my contact page. Until next time, I wish you all the best and happy sailing. C